Thursday, April 2, 2015

Spring Styles for Girls


I met with one of my best friends for lunch the other day (okay, really three months ago) but our conversation has been running in my head ever since then. "Kids are EX-PENsive." Naturally, being the fashionistas that we are (alright, her not me) we talked awhile about children's clothing.
As you may know, or perhaps my mother has told you, Husband and I do not have kids yet. Except we are surrounded by kids between my classroom, our families, and all those beer drinkin' buddies from days long gone. Frat parties became date nights, those led to weddings and well now, I'm just waiting for Round 2 of the Baby Shower Invites to start popping into my mailbox. 
I've noticed clothing trends among my friends with kids. Some pick out preppy labels, others shop consignment, a few wore hand-me-downs almost the entire first year, and let's not forget the boutique babies. The online auctions are enough to cause me to bite my nails right off my fingers. Oh. The. Stress. And don't forget, I don't have kids.
I have very fond memories growing up. Like all good mothers of the mid 80s, my mom tried her best on her beloved Singer sewing machine. Floral fabrics, Peter Pan lace collars, and a big satin bow tied in the back of a dress was my mother's specialty. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved it. Those dresses are special. They were made with time and love. I am proud to say those dresses are still hanging, in plastic protectors, somewhere in the back of my childhood closet.   

Then of course, landing at Number 7 in the Cousin Birth Order made me a prime candidate for hand-me-downs. I was full of excitement the times I got to pull open a giant black trashbag full of clothing my cousin could no longer wear. It was so fun looking through the items deciding what I wanted to keep and what we would pass on to a local charity. To make matters even cooler for a then 5 year old, my aunt used a different smelling detergent that I can still remember lingering on the clothes. 

Of course, I also had nice labels bought for special occasions from my Godmother or Grandma. A new birthday sweater or a polka dot jean dress for church... My mom also did a good job picking out labels a few seasons early that eventually I would grow into. We hunted for our favorite brands at TJMaxx or looked through the racks of our small town JCPenneys. Mall shopping trips were a full day event that required leaving the house early and driving south closer to Dallas. 

So being bored at home this week, I decided to do a bit of "clothing research". AKA shopping with no intent to buy. (Remember we don't have kids) I thought if one of my best friends is expressing how expensive kids can be, than my other friends with kids might feel the same way. What can parents do to live the lifestyle they want, keep their families happy, but do it without breaking their nest egg?



With a new season in full bloom here, I put together some spring styling boards. Take a look:  


This is Husband's favorite outfit of the five. I love the white lace on the turquoise top. The color of the top brings out the hint of turquoise in the striped leggings. Don't these colors just scream Easter? The shoes are $30... a bit more than I was looking for but the tassel is just adorable!


Usually, I am not a big fan of printed t-shirts but I really like the combination here. The black and white stripes with the coral anchor is not something I see all the time. Paired with the black chinos and slip on Van-like shoes, this shirt could make a cute outfit for a school-aged girl.





Can you tell I am a fan of blue? I just love this aqua blue skirt. It looks airy and lightweight perfect for over a pair of capri leggings. It's hard to see but the bottom of these capri leggings is lace! These white shoes would go with many spring and summer outfits... plus every girl needs a little sparkle!


I've been seeing a lot of mixed patterns lately. At first, I wasn't sure about these yellow star printed leggings but they give a bit of funk to the navy and white striped tunic. The color combination with the aqua blue cardigan just gives this whole outfit a bit of playfulness. 


This is one of my favorite outfits. I just loved the cha-cha top and knew it needed some bright colors to bring in some spunk. The bright pink pants and cheery yellow cardigan remind me of sunny days sipping lemonade. And of course, what could be more spring than grass green lace-ups?

So what do you guys think of these outfits? 

Would your little girl wear any of these combinations? 

Which one is your favorite?

I spent some time searching through one website for each of these items. They all came from just one store. I'm not receiving any affiliation or commission by putting these outfits together. I just wanted the challenge of putting something cute together for people who are on a tight budget or watching their nest egg. 

Dying to know where it all came from?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Each item, with the exception of some shoes and accessories, is around the $10 mark or LESS. For an outfit the kids will out grow within a few months and eventually become out of season, the price is not too bad huh? 

If anyone decides to buy an item please come back and let me know! I'm curious to see what you liked best!

Springing for Spring,

1 comment:

  1. Shopping for Spring is always awesome and I like to do spring shopping especially for kids. airport parking stansted

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.