Monday, July 14, 2014

Made It Monday: Banana Pudding Trifle


When a girl born and raised in the South is uprooted and moved across the ocean, memories of home are hard to come by. Fade blue jeans, sweet ice tea, and the shade of a Pecan Tree can seem distant, but a smooth taste of Banana Pudding Trifle can bring back what seems so far away.
Banana Pudding Trifle has to be one of my very first "pins" on Pinterest. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this recipe several years ago, but ever since then, reminiscent of the South, it has become a summer staple in my house. 

When the homesick blues kick in, what could be better than made-from-scratch banana pudding? The original recipe calls for 5 ripe bananas. I used three larger bananas and it was plenty. Here is my rendition of this delicious treat!
On medium-low (4), whisk together 3 cups of milk, 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup of sugar, and 1/3 cup of flour. 
Whisk constantly for 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens. It is really important the mixture thickens during this step or the pudding will not reach a desired consistency. Be patient...
After the mixture has thickened, remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract. I wanted a richer flavor so I used 3 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
Stir until the butter has melted and the vanilla has mixed into the pudding. Move the pudding into a chilled bowl and let it sit in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
While the pudding is chilling, cut up three bananas into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside until you come to the layering stage. 
The original recipe calls for canned whipped cream, but Husband has mastered homemade whipped cream. It is so easy he refuses to ever buy the canned whipped cream again! 
Husband poured a bottle of heavy whipping cream into the Kitchen Aid mixer. He whisked the heavy whipping cream along with 3 tablespoons of sugar on a medium speed for 10 minutes. Within minutes the liquid formed into soft fluffy peaks. 
After the pudding has chilled for 30 minutes, it is time to layer! I used short clear juice glasses as my serving dish. I thought jam jars would have been cute, but mine are in storage. Bummer... Anyways, I layered 1/3 with the pudding, then a layer of banana slices, and a few Nutter Butter Cookies. I have hoarded these Nutter Butter Cookies for this very occasion since flying out of The States in January! Unfortunately, I am unable to find Nutter Butter Cookies in Germany.
Over the bananas and cookies smooth on a second layer of pudding leaving about 1/4 of space left. Fill the remaining 1/4 space with the fresh whipped cream. 
Garnish the top of the whipped cream with an additional cookie, banana, and mint leaves. Cover and return to the refrigerator to chill for 2- 24 hours. When your guests arrive, the dessert is ready and waiting!
North, South, Europe, or anywhere on Earth this recipe will not disappoint. It is a bit more intensive than preparing the common boxed pudding packs, but if you are wanting a homemade pudding, this is for you! 

Happy Monday,



3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Not difficult . I would never have thought to use Nutter Butters but I will from now on .thanks fro sharing.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie! It is only time consuming when you are stirring for 20 minutes. You also can't go wrong with traditional Nilla wafers. There is a lady in West Texas who has been making homemade vanilla wafers for nearly 50 years. I would love to try some of those in this pudding!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I'm going to have to ask Stephen if he likes banana pudding. I'd love to attempt this for him!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.