Monday, March 10, 2014

Daffodils


Sometimes the best projects are the most random ones. They are unplanned, spur of the moment, and usually experimental.

I'm currently involved in one of these unplanned experimental projects with daffodil bulbs. While waiting in the check out lane at our local grocery store, I saw sprouted daffodil bulbs cheap...I mean real cheap. I bought two bunches and brought them home.

I have never had success planting bulbs in patio containers. My last try at tulip bulbs ended up in a disgusting, mushy, rotted situation. Not wanting another planter covered in moss and who knows what else...I took to the wonderful world of Google.

Several Pinterest pictures, a few garden club websites, and a couple YouTube "how to" videos later I had what I needed; inspiration, directions, and a plan. I was ready to give daffodil bulbs a try.

 This is my procedure for planting sprouted daffodil bulbs: (unless it doesn't work)

Materials:
-medium glass hurricane
-river rocks
-sprouted daffodil bulbs

First, I set a layer of the larger rocks at the bottom of the glass hurricane. The layer was about two inches thick.

Then, I pulled the bulbs out of the container. The roots were packed into the soil pretty tightly so I spent a few minutes rubbing the soil off and into a pile. If you buy just dry bulbs this step is not necessary. Since I am impatient, I bought sprouted bulbs with maturing roots. Since my bulbs were going into a glass hurricane, I wanted as much dirt off of the roots as possible. Dirty water just is not as nice looking as as clear, clean watered roots.

Next, I placed the daffodil bulbs root side down onto the rocks. Along the sides I placed the smaller rocks to keep everything snug. My daffodils were mature enough that the stems were already peeking out of the top of the hurricane.

Last, I poured water into the bottom of the vase with just enough water to reach the roots. This only submerged the bottom rocks, some of the longer roots, and did not touch the bottom of the daffodil bulbs.

I placed the hurricane of daffodils near a window that receives several hours of afternoon sun. Every few days I will either add water or switch out the old with new fresher water.

I must really be impatient and have bought ready to bloom daffodil bulbs. Originally, I thought the bulbs would take another couple of weeks to bloom. In just 24 hours almost all of my bulbs have bloomed tiny daffodils. I thought that the plants would get thicker like the ones I see outdoors, but now I realize I must have purchased the miniature daffodil bulbs. We shall see how long these last and if they get any bigger. Even if the flowers do not get any bigger, these yellow blooms are a cheerful addition to the emerging spring. Hopefully, the daffodils will stay around until Easter!

Are you making Springtime beautiful in your home?

Springtime Well Wishes,

*Follow Up: The Daffodils great quite full and lasted beautifully for about two weeks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.