Sunday, October 27, 2013

Apple Strudel Muffins


Besides a Saturday morning grocery run, Husband and I did not leave the house all weekend. It. Was. Awesome. Doesn't everyone need a weekend like that every once in awhile?  

During the week I do not get around to much cooking. Weeknight meals are kept simple or the cooking duties are shared between Husband and I.  When the weekends roll around it is a different story.  We usually have several recipes cooked up or baked fresh.  Our kitchen has a Sunday routine; messy, clean, messy, clean, messy, clean, messy, clean...and this goes on for about four cycles.  

Bavarian Weeknight Meal

This morning when I complained about the messy kitchen (after cleaning it an hour beforehand), Husband said, "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs." Except we didn't make omelettes.  I baked Apple Strudel Muffins. They were amazing.

Remember when I talked about buying a bag of apples from Apple Guy at the Farmer's Market?  Well, this weekend we had another bag sitting on our counter.  As you probably have guessed, if you are a regular reader, I made some more Crock Pot Applesauce.  With the remaining three apples I decided to make apple muffins for breakfast.  A quick Google search lead me to the perfect Apple Strudel Muffin recipe.

The more comfortable I get with baking, the more I am using recipes as a guideline or rather a suggestion. I mean after all, it is all about the science right?  For this particular recipe, I used three apples. One apple I cut into small pieces, the second I chopped in the processor, and the third apple I grated finely. Instead of 1 cup of white sugar, I used 1/2 white and 1/2 brown sugar.  The last change I made was adding 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.  

To top it off...more sugar!

The muffins came out full of soft apple chunks and the strudel topping added the perfect amount of sweetness.  The Apple Strudel Muffins are definitely upgrading from a search on the internet to a card in my recipe box.  In all the hype that is Pumpkin Spice right now, don't forget about the apple.  As mom always said, "An apple a day, keeps the doctor away." 

See the yummy chunks of apple?

Have you done any pumpkin or apple cooking/baking this season?  Do you search recipes mainly online, out of magazines, or from your personal collection?

Mainly Mmm Mmmm Muffins,

 

3 comments:

  1. That looks so good! You should share the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the same thing! Post the recipe. we don't have fresh apples in Texas bu I'm sure it will still be good.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! The recipe is linked in the fourth paragraph. The prep time is 20 but I think it was longer. Let me know if you give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.