Monday, July 15, 2013

Weekend Wrap Up!


Husband and I enjoyed a lovely weekend here in Munich. Friday night we attended a BBQ with Husband's colleagues. Out of 20 or so people, only about 5 spoke English. I got a lot of Deutsch practice in that night, so much that I used it all up! Saturday Husband and I went to lunch and my brain would only give out English words to a very  confused German waiter.

The rest of Saturday looked like an episode of Leave it to the Beaver. I was a true June Cleaver in my A-line plaid dress, underneath a ruffled floral apron, serving Husband fresh squeezed lemonade. (Don't let that fool you, Husband has cooked just about every dinner over the past month.) I guess I was a bit over due for some kitchen time because I went a bit crazy in that apron.

First, I turned our browned bananas into ice cream. I wasn't sure of this idea when I saw it online but as Husband said "This is awesome." All I had to do was puree frozen bananas in my food processor. I added a tiny bit of honey for sweetness. You could also add peanut butter, Nutella, or strawberries. Next time I will add a dash of milk for a creamier texture.
Banana Ice Cream

Next, I turned some of our basil leaves into fresh pesto. We used it on our shrimp tortellini. I mixed 2 cups of basil, 1/4 cup of olive oil, a bit of Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in the food processor.  I don't think we will ever spend money on the jarred stuff again. This was way too easy! *Kicking myself for not doing this sooner...
Pesto is the Besto!

The last splurge was a summertime treat, Key lime Cupcakes. Again, I found a recipe online and wanted to test it out before serving them at a party. Remember what happened with the jello cookies? Luckily, this recipe was the real deal and delicious. I highly recommend you whip up a batch of these babies asap. Mmm...
Key Lime Cupcakes!

Sunday, Husband and I drove an hour to another Bavarian town called Landshut. Every four years the entire town participates in a renaissance parade. It originally started as a celebration of the King's marriage and is still a top tradition to this modern day. The entire parade lasts for nearly two hours and people line the streets hours beforehand to get the perfect spot. We loved the costumes, old age instruments, acrobats, horses, knights, singing, and crowd participation yelling "HALLOoooo!"



We are loving the summertime and are hard at work making the most of it. Are you out creating new memories?  I would love to hear!

It's Been Real Swell,

1 comment:

  1. Oh Maren you make life so fun! I am going to try several of your suggested recipes. Keep on rocking your weekend apron if it keeps your man a cooking the rest of the week!! Brilliant trade off. The girls and I have been taking a page out of your "roadtripin" book this summer. We drove from St. Louis to New York. So much fun and they were so good. We traveled all through the East Coast to Maryland and back home again only to fly off to CA and visit with mom and dad a bit. Good times and a perfect summer. Miss you girlie. Glad to see you and the hubby are making some unforgettable memories. Love from STL! Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.