Monday, January 21, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper and Carrot Soup


Do you ever cook in trends...slow cooker recipes, pre-made freezer bags, casseroles, stir fry dishes, or even heat out of the box meals? Last weekend I was anxious to prepare a quality soup and landed on Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.


The soup turned out fantastic and when the weather looks like this outside....
...nothing is more satisfying than a warm soup in your belly.
The bitter cold, peaceful snow, and grey winter skies inspired me again to prepare another soup yesterday. This is when I noticed my cooking trend and this idea was born:

As long as the temperature holds out below freezing, each Sunday I will feature a new soup creation. I'm calling it Souper Bowl Sunday! (yep, it's that cheesy)

This past Sunday I experimented and created Roasted Red Pepper and Carrot Soup. My inspiration came from the roasted tomatoes from last week's soup recipe. I had both peppers and carrots in my refrigerator on the verge of going bad. I wanted to try roasting again and a soup was in order.

*Here is what you need:
5- Red Peppers 
4- Carrots
1- Medium sized yellow onion, diced
5- Garlic Cloves, minced
4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Italian Herbs
1.5 tsp. Cumin
1.5 tsp. Red Pepper
1.5 Liters Chicken Broth
Salt
Pepper
Here is what you do:
Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius.
Place red peppers (I also used green) and carrots into a baking dish.
Drizzle the top of the peppers and carrots with 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
Bake for 50 minutes turning halfway through. 

Meanwhile... chop the yellow onion.
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large stock pot.

Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes until golden.
Mince the garlic cloves and stir into the onions. 
Continue to heat for another 5 minutes.


Add 1.5 liters of chicken broth.
Stir in the Italian, cumin, and red pepper seasoning. 
Bring to a boil.

Remove the red peppers and carrots from the oven.
It is okay if they blackened a bit, it's roasting after all!
After the vegetables have cooled, remove their seeds, and cut into chunks.

When the chicken broth comes to a boil, add the peppers and carrots.
Lower the temperature, simmer, and cook covered for 20 minutes. 

In a blender, puree the vegetables and broth.
Return the puree to the stock pot.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can serve immediately or let it simmer for awhile.
(I left mine to simmer for a couple of hours)

This soup is great paired with a ham, tomato, and cheese melt sandwich.
The recipe is large enough to serve Husband and I two meals!

Guten Appetit,





1 comment:

  1. Souper Bowl Sunday is such a cute idea! I know what you mean about the cold weather - we are getting snow like crazy here, too. Nothing like a big bowl o' soup with weather like this! This recipe look deelish. I like your idea of having it with a melty sandwich!*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.