Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!


Waking up this morning it was weird not being able to turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  I have fond memories arriving to my grandparent's house early Thanksgiving Day and laying on the floor watching the parade.  Then after awhile my aunts, uncles, and cousins would trickle in over the next few hours.  My grandparents would set a table so long it would stretch into the the living room.  Everyone had their "spot" at the table.  Lefties on the corner, highchair at the other corner, and the dog whining underneath at my grandmother's feet.  After dinner everyone would retire to the living room, every seat and floor spot taken.  We would visit or watch family film strips.  Then came time for dessert and coffee.  We would have an assortment of pies to pick from; pecan, apple, chocolate, and my all time favorite, pumpkin.  One of the cousins would "take orders" and pass out the pie pieces.  There were some great times shared around the table and in my grandparent's house.
Usually 15 or more people would sit around this table.
Sometimes card tables past their prime were brought in for the "kid's table".
Today was a lot different.  As the years are coming and going new traditions and changes are taking place.  Today my husband and I celebrated our first Thanksgiving married.  We were sad to not be with our family crowded around a big table, but did have an enjoyable experience just the two of us.  I started the baking and cooking at 1:00 p.m. with the traditional pumpkin pie.  I knew canned pumpkin was not available in Germany so I packed a can into my suitcase back in July.  When it comes to pie, I think ahead!  Grandpa would be proud.
My pumpkin pie brought all the way over the ocean.
After awhile Husband was able to come home from work.  Together we made homemade green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, veggies, and a well herbed turkey.  Initially we were concerned about being able to have an American traditional Thanksgiving meal but with some improvising everything worked out well when it came to finding the ingredients. We learned how simple it is to actually make homemade green bean casserole. Since french fried onions are not available here, we sauteed onion in oil until crispy. Cream of Mushroom soup comes in a packet in Germany so we created our own with onions, mushrooms, butter, flour, and milk.  It was good and just as easy as the common recipe.  
Just so my husband and I knew where to "sit" at our table for 2!
Both of us enjoyed talking for a few minutes to our families.  It is hard to be away from them but I know we are fortunate to have the new experiences here in Germany.  Someday we will go back to large family meals at the grandparent's house.  New additions will lay on the floor watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and I will be in the kitchen making the green bean casserole.  Today I'm thankful for family, past and present, near and far. 

Happy Thanksgiving! And Happy 80th Birthday Gpa!



1 comment:

  1. Maren, I teared up seeing Grandma's table and almost smelling the wonderful scents oozing out of her kitchen. What a sweet memory. Remember playing out at Hall's Hallow?...and the only movie at the house was Annie. I must have watched it a billion times. Well guess what movie the girls have been obsessed with lately?? Leapin Lizards!! Good times. Love you cousin. Happy Thanksgiving, Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.